Built around 1860 by Adin Powell as a single story Greek Revival design, the home changed hands multiple times before the home was purchased by George and Fannie Dougherty.
The Dougherty’s were the first to have a dramatic and lasting effect, first by living in the home for 20 years. Secondly, they changed the home from a single family dwelling to a boarding house. Their plans meant radical changes, which included adding a second story, a widow’s walk, and large verandas down both street sides of the home. The home has 2 addresses: 217 W Lafayette Street and 202 Market Street.
During the mid-1920s, both Mr. and Mrs. Dougherty passed away, leaving their home to their daughter, Nannie Pearl and her husband, Sterling Minor. The Minors had no children. Jessie Kennedy, her husband and their daughter, Pauline, moved into the home in 1928 and lived in the downstairs apartment. When Nannie Pearl passed away in 1962, she left the home to Jessie Kennedy, her friend and life long companion.