Only 20 minutes from Jefferson is a place unlike any other place in Texas. Caddo Lake is home to gators, wetland birds, beavers, turtles, and many other critters. A recreation paradise, you could spend hours winding your way through the islands of trees by kayak or canoe. If you want to hear some history, sit back and enjoy a guided tour of the boat channels on a wood burning steamboat, and after a long day of playing, sit back and sip a cool beverage on the patio of one of the restaurants that line the river.
To help you plan out your Caddo Lake adventure, here is a list of different tours and activities on this natural wetland.
- Captain Ron's Swamp Tours: Pontoon Boat tour of Caddo Lake. Seats up to 16 people, covered. Tour lasts approximately 1 hour 10 minutes. Reservations Recommended. Call (903) 679-3020. www.captronswamptours.com
- Caddo Lake State Park: Caddo Lake State Park has been described as the Crown Jewel of the Texas Parks and Wildlife system. This is the best place to rent and launch kayaks and canoes. In addition to the kayaking and canoeing, you can enjoy fishing, swimming, picnicking, hiking and nature studies. Park is open 7 days a week.
- Paddling Trails: Ten paddling trails are open on both the Big Cypress Bayou and Caddo Lake. All trails are designed to be day trips and are clearly marked with trail markers.
- Big Cypress Tours: Your guide, Michael Landrum, takes you on an experience you will never forget. This is an engaging tour of the beautiful and mysterious Caddo Lake. Call (903) 570-3319.
- Caddo Lake Bayou Tours: Your guide, Rich McFarland, takes you on a wonderful tour of Caddo Lake, which covers approximately 26,000 acres of Bald Cypress Trees, Spanish Moss and abundant wildlife. Call (903) 570-2169 to book your tour.
- Riverbend Outfitters: Kayak and Canoe Tours and Rentals with Delivery and Shuttle Service. Call (903) 625-9100 for information and to reserve.
- Billy Carter's Go-Devil Adventure Tours: Includes Guided fishing trips and Pontoon Boat Tours. Call (903) 407-7368 for information and to reserve.
- Ole Jigger Adventures: Pontoon Boat Tour of Caddo Lake. Call (903) 930-6778, or www.olejiggercaddolakeadventures.com to book.
- Uncertain General Store and Gifts: You know that a restaurant that serves entrees such as “Sweep the Swamp” pizza has to be serving up some serious swamp food. Call (888) 325-5459.